Monday, June 29, 2009

My Public Service Announcement

I posted this on my other blog, so if you read both, sorry for the repeat, but I really think it is important.

I had a very little adventure today and I wanted to share it with all of you. I called Poison Control.As a Pediatrician, I've called them countless times. It was our policy to call with any intoxication or envenomation. I actually called three separate times for the same dumb teenager who liked to hunt rattle snakes. But this is the first time I've had to call as the Mommy. Myra got into some Silica Gel. It's that stuff in the little packets that they put in shoe boxes with "DO NOT EAT!" printed all over it. Fortunately, it is non toxic and biologically inert (which means that I don't have to worry and she'll have interesting diapers tomorrow.), but it could have been worse.

So, my plea to you - if you don't already have it memorized, please memorize the number to Poison Control. Ready, say it with me. 1-800-222-1222. See, easy! And that number works anywhere in the USA. I'm sure they would be happy to help international callers, too. They are unbelievably nice. Now write it down near the phone, so that when you are freaking out about what your kid (or dog or hubby or friend) just ate, you'll be ready.

3 comments:

The Thorley Family said...

I totally agree! This is one of the most important numbers you can know! I remember as a kid having those green stickers on all of our phones - what ever happened to those? I've had the number memorized since I was a teenager and a little boy I was babysitting sprayed X-14 in his mouth. Talk about freaking out! I'm glad everything turned out okay with Myra!

Elisabeth said...

Helpful thank you. it was fun getting together with you at the park. I'm glad everything truned out with your sweet little girl.

randivon said...

Hey Katie-
I stumbled on your blog a few days back and thought I would actually leave a comment to let you know I am blog stalking you. :-) My daughter Mary ate one of those packets about a year ago and I was really freaked out... until I called poison control. Aren't they great! Thanks for sharing this... it really is a huge comfort as a mom.
~Randi von Bose