I had a very little adventure today and I wanted to share it with all of you. I called Poison Control.As a Pediatrician, I've called them countless times. It was our policy to call with any intoxication or envenomation. I actually called three separate times for the same dumb teenager who liked to hunt rattle snakes. But this is the first time I've had to call as the Mommy. Myra got into some Silica Gel. It's that stuff in the little packets that they put in shoe boxes with "DO NOT EAT!" printed all over it. Fortunately, it is non toxic and biologically inert (which means that I don't have to worry and she'll have interesting diapers tomorrow.), but it could have been worse.
So, my plea to you - if you don't already have it memorized, please memorize the number to Poison Control. Ready, say it with me. 1-800-222-1222. See, easy! And that number works anywhere in the USA. I'm sure they would be happy to help international callers, too. They are unbelievably nice. Now write it down near the phone, so that when you are freaking out about what your kid (or dog or hubby or friend) just ate, you'll be ready.