Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Run of the Day, 4/20/2010

Odd that the VA doesn't block blog sites.

So I've been running a bit more lately, and trying some new routes. This morning was especially pleasant, running through some nice peaceful farmland and some very loud yip dogs. With my typical 1 mile warm up loop, today's run was just shy of 10 miles, and took about 1 hour and 35 minutes.




Higher detail, with calorie count, elevation, etc available here.

Of course, I've still got a long way to go with running technique. Today was a learning experience (as most days are) and I found that I still have trouble connecting a shoulders-first twist to the twist of my lower body, and therefore to push backwards as I run. This is important as there are only two ways to influence speed while running--push backwards (like scraping mud off your shoes) and lean forwards. Many running gurus advocate one or the other; I am trying to blend both, and to find out which situations may call for one over the other. I'm pretty good with the twist/pushoff, and still horrible with the lean.
The overall goal is to run a marathon; I have selected the Frankenthon to start with. It's relatively close, fits my schedule, and importantly is long enough away that I have the chance to trail properly for it.
Happy running!

1 comment:

randivon said...

First, your "warm up loop" is half of my normal complete workout. :-) And second, I did not understand about 90% of that but CJ and I both agree that this is some pretty dedicated stuff. Good for you. :-)