Wednesday, April 21, 2010

ROTD, 4/21/2010

So today was a very different kind of run, not the long, exploratory type seen yesterday. The course today is a loop I with which I am very familiar:

Today's loop

This is, of course, a single lap around my block. Gmaps pedometer states that it's 0.3296 miles, which for all intents is 1/3 of a mile (there's 19.5 feet of difference between the two, for the purist; but also a slight elevation change, so it's probably a wash).

Today was a combination of technique work and speedwork. The point of these runs is to become comfortable at higher speeds. This is done mostly by spending time at these higher speeds and looking for ways to make it easier/smoother/more efficient. By definition, your cardiovascular fitness is not sufficient to hold these speeds for very long, thus, short repeats are the rule.

I have no idea how far I went today, as I did not keep count of the number of laps. Some were relatively quick: 2:09, or 6:27 pace; others were done for pure technique and no time was taken, but was probably in the 11:00 pace range. The majority were about 6:45 pace. This is substantially different from my run of yesterday, which was about 10 minute pace.

I intend to return to the long run tomorrow. This month is the only month I have time to put in these long explorer runs before I hit the general Medicine wards, which will substantially decrease my available time.

Learning points for today, which may interest only me:

Re-emphasize keeping core alignment--run with back stretched, not collapsed backwards. This dramatically decreases perceived exertion at any speed.

Mix of hip swivel and knees-first movement somewhat difficult to do. Will need to experiment with Chi-running style, allowing the ground to produce the rotation. Felt often I was working at cross purposes, with legs coming forwards while hips going backwards. Did several laps focused on having hips, legs, and shoulders in proper places (ie forwards, forwards, and backwards) instead of losing the connection at the hips.

Focus on keeping right knee/foot in alignment, as that knee flexes inwards. Need to increase mobility in right foot, focused on using outer head of hamstrings to recover right leg as this puts knee joint in proper alignment.

Happy running!

No comments: