Wednesday, February 4, 2009

DIY

I decided to try making my own bias tape a few days ago. Bias tape, for the non-sewers out there is a strip of fabric which is cut at a 45 degree angle to the direction of the weave (on the bias). The important thing about that is that it gives it some additional strength, but more importantly, it is able to curve around corners. You use it to bind the edges of things, and to face curves - like little bitty baby armholes. I also love to use it to bind the edges of the slings I make. It is pretty, durable, easy, and makes the slings easier to use, since you can easily identify the rails when you need to adjust the sling. Here is a sling that I bound with commercial bias tape.

As you can see, there isn't anything wrong with just buying the bias tape. It's easy, not expensive, and available everywhere. The problem is that it's a bit boring. It is only available in solid colors, and selection can be limited. I am currently working on a sling for a friend, and she has a very vibrant personality, so I want her sling to have some pizazz. So, I wanted to bind it with something a little more interesting. I was reluctant to make it myself, only because the last time I did any bias binding, I chose a completely unsuitable fabric (polyester satin) and it was a HUGE pain. It was for my Ren Fest corset, and it ended up taking me far longer than it should have, courtesy of that binding. Looks nice, though.Anyway, I decided to give it another go. I bought some lightweight cotton, found a good instructional website here, and went for it. It went a lot better than I thought it would! I used the instructions for cutting/sewing on the website, and that went really well. Then came the ironing, which I hate to do anyway, and turning under millimeters of fabric - well, I wasn't excited about it. It wasn't that bad, though. Now, roughly two hours later, I have about 7 yards of realllly cute bias tape. I won't post pictures now, since it's a surprise, but stay tuned...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job, Katie!!!
Very nicely done.

Eric and Aubrey said...

Ambitious! Can't wait to see it!